Monday, October 4, 2010

My First Sick Day

I finally succumbed to the sickness that has worked its way thru much of my family already. Mondays are a bad day to be gone but not much I could do about it. I'm hoping to feel better by tomorrow as it is a busy week before the workday and compost sale this weekend. I called Larry early and gave him some ideas for the Grumpy list and for staff activities. I'm sure everything went well. Looks like more possible frost tonight which will separate out our tender plants for a quick death. I went to my cousin's wedding this weekend in Milwaukee and had time to explore the campus of Marquette University which is quite beautiful. I did notice a lot of female ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) trees around campus which were easy to spot because of their fruiting structures (technically coated seeds) that are covered with a hard and soft outer, apricot orange fleshy section. I remember female ginkgos dropping their fruits down at the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) along paths that would ulimately result in a trampling and the horrible smell of rancid butter combined with vomit. Kudos to Marquette for not removing these large female specimens but I image their grounds crew is quick to collect the fruits as they hit the pavement!

No comments: