Monday, November 30, 2009

2010 Preparations Begin In Earnest

I'm officially in a 2010 mental state now as I consider what worked for us in 2009 (like this sunken garden border above) and what didn't. With the lights show essentially up and ready to go with the premiere lighting this Friday night, I can sink my teeth in to all the seed catalogs and start putting together some ideas. Despite the fact that some of our summer annuals for next year wont be planted for 6 months, the clock is ticking for selecting, ordering and procuring seed so we can distribute our orders to our four growers. I like to have everything (annuals) selected by January and then move on to woody plants and perennials that we like to obtain locally. We're still in our budget preparations for next year so I need to make decisions based on the approved budget in the coming month or so. It was nice to have four days off but it's time to rock and roll for 2010. Below is a shot of the front of our visitors center a couple of years ago for the Holiday Lights Show, originally called the Winter Wonderland Walk.
While I started my winter preparations for 2010 today, Larry was out "fine tuning" the lights show and helping facilitate Grumpies. Although the Grumpies are on hiatus until spring, we still had a lot of guys here today! The carpenters kept busy while some guys helped with projects out at the other building while some pruned and the remainder mulched. Little Jerry and Urban pruned most of the day and Dr. Gredler continued his journies to the dump. Bill came in for more tidy up work as well. It was a nice day outside and everyone took advantage of it except me! How about the vehicle below for tours around the garden!?

No comments: