Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Frigid (Nice Blue Skies Though...)

Above is a nice "summer teaser". This is my favorite purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea 'Pica Bella') right now and although I like the look of some of the new ones, understand that overall plant vigor is important as well (not just fancy blooms). Speaking of blooms, note the close-up of Virginia bluebells (Mertensia virginica) below. I love this shade of blue in April!
Frigid today but nice and sunny. Jenny was here all day working on our 2009 labels and has made lots of progress already. We've streamlined and organized the process over the years and have an awesome system. Thank goodness for her help!!! Dr. Gredler was here painting this morning (more pink obelisks) and Bill and Dick H. worked on one of our trucks. We had lots of people pop by and look forward to a good Grumpy day tomorrow. Spring teaser below. This is an early May shot with the redbud (Cercis canadensis) blooming in the Japanese Garden. The pagoda structure was given in memory of Tom McKaig, a wonderful volunteer that took care of that garden for many years.Our former Executive Director, Ed Lyon, will pick me up tomorrow morning and we'll head to the Chicagoland Flower & Garden Show on Navy Pier. We both have presentations and schedule them back to back so we can commute together. Unfortunately, we'll leave in rush hour traffic but it can't be avoided. I'm speaking on "Ornamental Edibles" (see hot peppers below). This event has always been good exposure for Rotary Gardens to a crowd that can be considered "potentials" for coming out to visit us and become members!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mark,
I'm stealing your great Pica Bella shot. I'm desperate for a talk I'm doing tomorrow! I owe you a GREEN beer!

Todd J.