Monday, May 26, 2008

Sitting In My Garden

As I sit in my backyard, I can see this golden, cutleaf elderberry (Sambucus racemosa 'Sutherland Gold') illuminating the corner of the yard. I spent about 4 hours in the yard yesterday but that's just scratching the surface of what needs to be done. Regardless, the exhaustion of gardening work well done is rewarding. I've always envisioned having more acreage to dabble on but don't know how I would find more spare time to take care of more plants, lawn, etc.


I took my little girl on one of our weekly "adventures" this Saturday. We hiked around Governer Nelson State Park up in Madison on the north side of Lake Mendota. It was a great day and we saw lots of neat things like the native mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum) in bloom and lots of wild geranium (below).


We also saw many colonies of sensitive fern (Onoclea sensibilis) as well. It was a nice adventure and we certainly like our spring walks. Tomorrow will begin the plant pickup expeditions again and we'll continue to plant and weed vigorously. We'll also have to deal with putting the plant sale "to bed" as well.

No comments: